gently drowning is my newest track; inspired by my Roland DEP-5. Continue reading for more info.
LISTEN ON SOUNDCLOUD< (opens in a new tab)">>LISTEN ON SOUNDCLOUD<
LISTEN ON BANDCAMP< (opens in a new tab)">>LISTEN ON BANDCAMP<
Well, I’ve finally released some new material! Gently drowning was a quick project completed over the course of 2 days. Thanks to my Roland DEP-5 I was inspired to work on some new sounds in a new way. In the past, I had relied mainly on digital effects applied in editing for the interesting sounds I strive for. This time around, I was determined to use effects through actual hardware as much as possible.
recording and production
I recently acquired a nice Behringer audio interface which has been a great asset to recording now that I’m getting back into the groove of music production. After messing around with different settings and reading a bit of the DEP-5’s manual I settled on a nice reverb setup, which is what you hear in the published version of the song.
I didn’t have much of an idea for the song itself once it came time to start recording. I began by playing gentle chords and let the effect take over for a bit. After a few rounds of that, I stumbled into the basic chord progression and timing that can be heard on the final track.
Afterwards, I began recording a few takes of a higher melody while the chord progression looped. I wasn’t happy with what I came up with at first but eventually fell into a progression of gently notes that responded to the chords.
Later, I decided there should be a vocal part using similar reverb but the mic I intended to use would put out a lot of noise when plugged into the DEP-5. I struggled for a few minutes before deciding to just put the song on hold and come back to it the next day.
I spent my shift at work writing ideas here and there, and eventually was left with a list of workable ideas. Once I began testing out lyrics against the chord loop I decided the original ideas were too wordy. I settled on picking small phrases from the list and interjecting them in an improvisational way. It took a few passes of recording vocals to settle on the final structure.
After getting a solid take of vocals, I lined up the track and added digital reverb in Ardour. I couldn’t match the DEP-5’s settings exactly but it was enough to fit the vibe.
Well, this is the bottom of the page. If you’re looking for somewhere else to go, why not check out the rest of my blog here.